Stegsolve is a stegano solver for challenges. It provides these main functions:
- A quick view of different bit planes and some simple transformations.
- Data extraction from planes. This can be row order or column order, with bits treated as a bitstream and converted into bytes.
- Some simple checking of file formats and reporting on the filesize, additional bytes, file holes, etc. This is highly dependent upon the type of image.
- Stereogram solver - simply change the offset until the image becomes visible.
- Frame browser for animated images. This should also work for viewing layers in multi-layered PNG files.
- Image combiner to combine two images in a variety of ways and browse through the different combinations.
$ wget https://github.com/eugenekolo/sec-tools/raw/master/stego/stegsolve/stegsolve/stegsolve.jar
$ java -jar stegsolve.jar
It will popup a GUI where you will be able to look for a picture to analyze.
Then press the buttons at the button of the screen to navigate through the different transformations.
The below example is one of the challenges from picoCTF 2018: https://2018shell.picoctf.com/static/f05dcf83df8b8a80fff7764e0449e833/nowYouDont.png
|Initial picture||Flag revealed|